Import documents from shared folder

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM

i have tried to follow the same format but it gives me an error as below please advice what is the wrong in below command:

OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.exe -folder:"\\WIN-IV3A7Q43Z79\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Test" -site:"http://WIN-IV3A7Q43Z79:100/" -documentlibrary:”user guides”

the log file says:

2010-04-29 01:38:28,508 ERROR System.ArgumentException: Unsupported  value line argument format.
Parameter name: guides”
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineDictionary.AddArgument(String argument)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineDictionary.FromArguments(IEnumerable`1 arguments, Char keyCharacter, Char valueCharacter)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineParser.ParseArguments(Object valueToPopulate, IEnumerable`1 args, Char keyCharacter, Char valueCharacter)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLine.Program.GetSettings(IEnumerable`1 args)
2010-04-29 01:38:28,520 ERROR documentlibrary is required
2010-04-29 01:38:28,520 ERROR site url is required
2010-04-29 01:38:28,520 ERROR folder is required
2010-04-29 01:38:28,522 ERROR Settings are not valid, Import aborted

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Hi mohannadsa,

If I copy/paste your command I get the same error. If retype everything it works fine. 

I think the quotes or the hyphens are not 100% the same character.

Did you copy paste the command from the documentation?

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM

There were indeed strange quote characters in the examples.

I've replaced them with the correct ones, the examples can now be copy pasted

May 3, 2010 at 6:08 AM
Edited May 3, 2010 at 6:17 AM

thanks melg it works after i retype the command line but i have one comment regarding the creation and modified date, the command did not Retain the creation and modified date fields after the documents being moved to SharePoint !!! the migrated documents contain the date of migration any clue?

May 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Are you sure about that? Is there anything in the logs showing something went wrong?

If you copied the files to a new directory to test the creation date will be in fact the time that you copied the file, but the modified date should still be the original date. Can you double check it?

May 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Yes Am Sure becuase i have created the test folders on past thursday and i did execute the command today in the morning and after that i went to document library to download the file to check the creation date and modified date and both are the same (today date).

i checked the log and nothing went wrong as below:

2010-05-02 22:03:23,254 INFO  Configuring application
2010-05-02 22:03:23,254 INFO  Initializing Sharepoint Connection
2010-05-02 22:03:23,837 INFO  Initializing Validation
2010-05-02 22:03:23,837 INFO  Initializing data source: File system: \\win-iv3a7q43z79\Test
2010-05-02 22:03:23,855 INFO  Number of files: 3
2010-05-02 22:03:23,855 INFO  Number of folders: 3
2010-05-02 22:03:23,855 INFO  Number of empty folders: 1
2010-05-02 22:03:23,855 INFO  Total file size: 42 KB
2010-05-02 22:03:23,855 INFO  Start Import
2010-05-02 22:03:23,998 INFO  START Processing \\win-iv3a7q43z79\Test\B\New Text Document.txt
2010-05-02 22:03:23,998 INFO  Saving file to SharePoint: http://win-iv3a7q43z79/user guides/B/New Text Document.txt
2010-05-02 22:03:24,051 INFO  Succeeded
2010-05-02 22:03:24,205 INFO  END Processing \\win-iv3a7q43z79\Test\B\New Text Document.txt
2010-05-02 22:03:24,246 INFO  START Processing \\win-iv3a7q43z79\Test\C\New Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation.pptx
2010-05-02 22:03:24,246 INFO  Saving file to SharePoint: http://win-iv3a7q43z79/user guides/C/New Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation.pptx
2010-05-02 22:03:24,488 INFO  Succeeded
2010-05-02 22:03:24,598 INFO  END Processing \\win-iv3a7q43z79\Test\C\New Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation.pptx
2010-05-02 22:03:24,599 INFO  START Processing \\win-iv3a7q43z79\Test\C\New Microsoft Word Document.docx
2010-05-02 22:03:24,600 INFO  Saving file to SharePoint: http://win-iv3a7q43z79/user guides/C/New Microsoft Word Document.docx
2010-05-02 22:03:24,669 INFO  Succeeded
2010-05-02 22:03:24,766 INFO  END Processing \\win-iv3a7q43z79\Test\C\New Microsoft Word Document.docx
2010-05-02 22:03:24,766 INFO  Import finished

May 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM
Edited May 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM

i have checked the document meta data on the document library itself by adding two columns on the default view (created date and modified date) and it gives me the correct dates so it works Buddy.

May 3, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Great!

When you download a document from SharePoint a new file is created on your disk. That file has a creation date of the moment you did the download.

The importer keeps the created and modified date in the Created and Modified columns in the list.

May 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Thanks melg for clarifications and for the useful tool that you publish it will help us a lot in our projects.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I get an error:

ERROR - Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequestException: The file already exi
sts.

However, I know the file does not exist.  It happens for brand new documents with unique file names

Here is the total output:

C:\Documents and Settings\SDELANEY.DOMAIN_BHGL5\Desktop>OrbitOne.SharePoint.Impo
rter.exe -site:"http://spsql1/singlesort" -documentlibrary:"Matter 456-7890" -fo
lder:c:\Test\new -archive:C:\archive
INFO - Configuring application
INFO - Initializing Sharepoint Connection
INFO - Initializing Validation
INFO - Initializing data source: File system: c:\Test\new
INFO - Number of files: 1
INFO - Number of folders: 0
INFO - Number of empty folders: 0
INFO - Total file size: 9 KB
INFO - Start Import
INFO - START Processing c:\Test\new\sdkna;sdkfnsd.docx
INFO - Saving file to SharePoint: http://spsql1/singlesort/Matter 456-7890/sdkna
;sdkfnsd.docx
ERROR - Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequestException: The file already exi
sts.
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.File.SaveBinary(ClientContext context, String
serverRelativeUrl, Stream stream, String etag, Boolean overwriteIfExists, SaveBi
naryCheckMode checkMode)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.File.SaveBinaryDirect(ClientContext context, S
tring serverRelativeUrl, Stream stream, Boolean overwriteIfExists)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.SharePoint.DocumentLibraryRepository.CreateFi
le(ImportFile importFile, ClientContext context)
le(ImportFile file)
INFO - Import finished

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM
Does this happen every time with a new file? The program first checks if the file exists on SharePoint, and will only import if it does not exists yet. Normally trying to import an existing file should give a warning and skip the file, not throw an error. The filename may be a problem. Do you get the same error with filenames without a semicolon?
Aug 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM
nevermind, I was able to reproduce the problem. It happens when the document library was renamed. This results in the url being different from the name. The program tries to save the file to a non-existant url. The error thrown by the SharePoint client library isn't very helpful either :) I'll fix this and post an update shortly.
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM
This is fixed in the new release: http://spbulkdocumentimport.codeplex.com/releases/view/50069 sdelaney, can you try this one and confirm your issue is fixed?
Aug 13, 2010 at 3:05 AM

Does this application when using my example code below, also create the full folder structor and place the files in the correct folder location without having to create the folder structor myself?

Example Code:

OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.exe -folder:"\\<Server>\<share name>\<folder name>\" -site:"<SharePoint Site>" -documentlibrary:”<doc library>” -importhiddenfolder

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:28 AM
the option "-importhiddenfolder" does not exist. Did you mean -importhiddenfiles instead? If you add the option "-createfolders" it will create the full folder structure. if you also add the option "-createemptyfolders", empty folders will also be created The command will look like this: OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.exe -folder:"\\<Server>\<share name>\<folder name>\" -site:"<SharePoint Site>" -documentlibrary:”<doc library>” -importhiddenfiles -createfolders -createemptyfolders
Aug 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Thank you for the reply but I ran into an issue when I used your example and would like to see if you can help. I added the switches –createfolders and –createemptyfolders but when I ran the command it ended creating all of the content in the root of my library. It did not create the folder structure like I wanted it to and I thought your example would do it.

Below is the actual command I ran…

OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.exe -folder:"\\SVRIRVAPP01\Share_User\Admin Staff\Lisa" -site:"https://intranet.smartstartinc.com/AdminDept" -documentlibrary:”Admin Users Share” -importhiddenfiles -createfolders -createemptyfolders

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:52 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2010 at 9:47 PM

After the program for a while it started producing the following errors and then it crashed... Below is a picture of the error. It mentions that the file exists but the library was empty before I started the process. After a few minutes of the message coming up it crashed.

Picture can be seen here... Link

Error Message

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Does this utility take into account if you change which type of extensions you accept? I am allowing .lnk but I have noticed that the utility will not upload them.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM
1) It does not take into account the actual allowed file types. It works on the default list of blocked file types. I have not found a way yet to access the list of blocked file types programmatically. 2) Did you use the latest release of the importer? The error may be caused by renaming the document library. If this is the case using the newest version should solve the issues.
Dec 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I encountered the same error: ERROR - Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientRequestException: The file already exists.

This happened during a scripted migration so it was very strange, the files do not exist at all! I used the ULS logviewer to monitor the Sharepoint logs and It turned out that the database server was out of space! When I fixed that problem the migration went fine again.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I had the same error message hence I found this thread.

I'm trying to run:

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer> .\OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.exe -folder:"\\localhost\project\033 - twinridge" -site:"http://abc/team_c/033" -documentlibrary:"Shared Documents"

However, it kept getting:

ERROR - System.ArgumentException: Unsupported  value line argument format.
Parameter name: twinridge
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineDictionary.AddA
rgument(String argument)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineDictionary.From
Arguments(IEnumerable`1 arguments, Char keyCharacter, Char valueCharacter)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineParser.ParseArg
uments(Object valueToPopulate, IEnumerable`1 args, Char keyCharacter, Char value
Character)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLine.Program.GetSettings(IEnumerable`1
 args)

I've tried typing in the entire command myself (instead of copy pasting) but it did not work... Any idea?

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM

it is treating "- twinridge" as a command line parameter. I will see if I can fix this.

In the mean time, renaming the folder to something without a dash will solve the error, if that is an option

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Really forward for the updated version soon!

We can't rename the folders as that's too many for us...

Thanks,
Jabez Gan

Date: 18 Apr 2011 01:43:38 -0700
To: <mingteikg@blizhosting.com>
ReplyTo: spbulkdocumentimport@discussions.codeplex.com
Subject: Re: Import documents from shared folder [spbulkdocumentimport:210968]

it is treating "- twinridge" as a command line parameter. I will see if I can fix this.

In the mean time, renaming the folder to something without a dash will solve the error, if that is an option

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I just tested this and didn't have the problem, everything was imported fine. I tested with the following arguments: -site:"http://localhost" -documentlibrary:"Test" -folder:"\\localhost\c$\temp\import - test" -createfolders -createemptyfolders

Could you make sure the -folder argument is between double quotes?

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Please see below... I've renamed the folder to an underscore and it works now. But now the problem is at the Documents...

What do you think?

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer> .\OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.exe -folder:"\\localhost\project\000_test" -site:"http://companyweb/team_c/092" -documentlibrary:"Shared Documents" -CreateFolders -CreateEmptyFolders
ERROR - System.ArgumentException: Unsupported  value line argument format.
Parameter name: Documents
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineDictionary.AddA
rgument(String argument)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineDictionary.From
Arguments(IEnumerable`1 arguments, Char keyCharacter, Char valueCharacter)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLineParsing.CommandLineParser.ParseArg
uments(Object valueToPopulate, IEnumerable`1 args, Char keyCharacter, Char value
Character)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.CommandLine.Program.GetSettings(IEnumerable`1
 args)
ERROR - documentlibrary is required
ERROR - site url is required
ERROR - folder is required

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Looks like the same problem, make sure "Shared Documents" is between quotes

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Hi,

If you take a look at my command, i did type in the "".

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM

I found the issue: it works fine from the command line (cmd.exe), but it doesn't work in PowerShell

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM
Ohhhh, tats the problem. Thanks a bunch!!!

Thanks,
Jabez Gan
Apr 20, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Now, I'm getting the below... Any idea?

INFO - Start Import
INFO - START Processing \\localhost\project\033 - twinridge\00 Working\01.MASTER PLAN\033-Commercial\Views\1.jpg
INFO - Saving file to SharePoint: http://companyweb/team_c/033/Shared Documents/00 Working/01.MASTER PLAN/033plan/03Commercial/Views/1.jpg
ERROR - System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.SPWebRequestExecutor.Execute()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.File.SaveBinary(ClientContext context, String serverRelativeUrl, Stream stream, String etag, Boolean overwriteIfExists, SaveBinaryCheckMode checkMode)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.File.SaveBinaryDirect(ClientContext context, String serverRelativeUrl, Stream stream, Boolean overwriteIfExists)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.SharePoint.DocumentLibraryRepository.CreateFile(ImportFile importFile, ClientContext context)
   at OrbitOne.SharePoint.Importer.SharePoint.DocumentLibraryRepository.CreateFile(ImportFile file)

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM

does it happen consistently?

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Yes, very consistently... But it will create the files and it will upload some files, but not some files.

Eg, 1.JPG is only <100kb, and we are uploading from the same local machine to the sharepoint site hosted on the same machine as well...

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Here's some of the output.... You'll find that some uploads are fine, but some gives me a timed out... Any idea?

INFO - START Processing \\localhost\project\033 - twinridge\00 Working\01.MASTER
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\View_Final\03.psd
INFO - Saving file to SharePoint: http://companyweb/team_c/033/Shared Documents/00 Wor
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/View_Fina
l/03.psd
serverRelativeUrl, Stream stream, String etag, Boolean overwriteIfExists, SaveBi
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
INFO - START Processing \\localhost\project\033 - twinridge\00 Working\01.MASTER
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\View_Final\04.jpg
INFO - Saving file to SharePoint: http://companyweb/team_c/033/Shared Documents/00 Wor
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/View_Fina
l/04.jpg
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\View_Final\04.psd
l/04.psd
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\033-Twinridge-Master Pl
an (090727)-SUPERLINK-A(reza).dwg
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/033-Twinr
idge-Master Plan (090727)-SUPERLINK-A(reza).dwg
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\Commercial091113.dwg
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/Commercia
l091113.dwg
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\Commercial1.dwg
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/Commercia
l1.dwg
sts.
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\Commercial_3d_091113.dw
g
l_3d_091113.dwg
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\new_com.skp
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/new_com.s
kp
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\New_Com1.skp
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/New_Com1.
skp
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\plot.log
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/plot.log
sts.
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\Thumbs.db
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/Thumbs.db

sts.
naryCheckMode checkMode)
le(ImportFile file)
 PLAN\033-Twinridge-master plan\033-Twinridge-Commercial\Twinridge.skb
king/01.MASTER PLAN/033-Twinridge-master plan/033-Twinridge-Commercial/Twinridge
.skb
naryCheckMode checkMode)

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I haven't seen this issue before.

Can you give some more details about your setup?

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:42 PM

HP ML110, 2GB RAM, with Sharepoint 2010 Foundation (i'm suspecting that it's caused by the lack of RAM)

WinServ2008 R2, with AD. Sharepoint 2010 Foundation + DB on the same server. Currently no one is using, except for me trying to migrate files into it.

IIS I've set the connection timed out for the Sharepoint Site to 12000 secs, restarted IIS, yet it didn't work...

What other info do you need..?

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

According to IIS log, seems like there's an authentication issue...

i'm running the script in elevated priviledge CMD...

2011-04-20 13:58:15 192.168.10.1 PUT /team_c/033/Shared+Documents/00+Working/01.MASTER+PLAN/033-Twinridge-master+plan/033-Twinridge-master+plan-working-old+files/Master+layout+--01.dwg - 80 - 192.168.10.1 - 401 2 5 46
2011-04-20 14:01:15 192.168.10.1 PUT /team_c/033/Shared+Documents/00+Working/01.MASTER+PLAN/033-Twinridge-master+plan/033-Twinridge-master+plan-working-old+files/Master+layout+--02.dwg - 80 - 192.168.10.1 - 401 2 5 31
2011-04-20 14:04:15 192.168.10.1 PUT /team_c/033/Shared+Documents/00+Working/01.MASTER+PLAN/033-Twinridge-master+plan/033-Twinridge-master+plan-working-old+files/Master+layout+--03.dwg - 80 - 192.168.10.1 - 401 2 5 46
2011-04-20 14:06:48 fe80::1de3:27d9:d191:aa0e%15 GET /selfupdate/iuident.cab - 80 - fe80::1de3:27d9:d191:aa0e%15 - 401 2 5 15
2011-04-20 14:07:15 192.168.10.1 PUT /team_c/033/Shared+Documents/00+Working/01.MASTER+PLAN/033-Twinridge-master+plan/033-Twinridge-master+plan-working-old+files/Master+layout+--04.dwg - 80 - 192.168.10.1 - 401 2 5 0
2011-04-20 14:10:16 192.168.10.1 PUT /team_c/033/Shared+Documents/00+Working/01.MASTER+PLAN/033-Twinridge-master+plan/033-Twinridge-master+plan-working-old+files/Master+layout+--05.dwg - 80 - 192.168.10.1 - 401 2 5 0
2011-04-20 14:13:16 192.168.10.1 PUT /team_c/033/Shared+Documents/00+Working/01.MASTER+PLAN/033-Twinridge-master+plan/033-Twinridge-master+plan-working-old+files/Master+layout+--06.1.dwg - 80 - 192.168.10.1 - 401 2 5 31
2011-04-20 14:16:16 192.168.10.1 PUT /team_c/033/Shared+Documents/00+Working/01.MASTER+PLAN/033-Twinridge-master+plan/033-Twinridge-master+plan-working-old+files/Master+layout+--06.dwg - 80 - 192.168.10.1 - 401 2 5 15

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Can you upload files through the web interface?

Is the site set up using claims based authentication?

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Can, i was able to upload the file using web interface...

And site is using windows authentication. Or you want to remote access into the server to take a look at the issue? From me a PM...

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM
Edited Apr 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Tested it again with both Claims based and Windows authentication, didn't see any problems.

Do you see anything in the SharePoint ULS logs?